Korea University Center for Human Rights and Gender Equity

  • Sitemap
  • 한국어

How does the counselling work?

1. How to Seek Counselling Service

1) What Kind of Counselling Services Can the Center Offer?

Once your rights have been violated in any way, you may find it hard to talk about it with someone else not just out of fear but also out of shame of talking to someone about something so personal. Finding someone adequate to talk to and to provide appropriate information to solve the problems are what counselling is for. You could call, e-mail or come to the KU Center for Human Rights and Gender Equity in person to have a counselling sessions. Every personal information and contents of the counselling will be completely confidential.

2) What Are the Main Contents of Counseling?

Human Rights Violations - Any form of human rights issues that could occur within the campus involving unjust treatment or violence based on race, ethnicity, country of origin, being mentally and/or physically challenged, social hierarchy.

Petition for Grievance - Wrongful decisions made by the school, unjust executive system, conflicts with the members of the school

3) Who Can Come by for Counselling?

Students, members of faculty, staffs and any other members of Korea University are welcome (as long as either the victim or the assailant is member of the KU).

  • Counselling via phone : 02-3290-1700
  • Counselling via e-mail : humanrights@korea.ac.kr
  • Counselling via visitation : KU Center for Human Rights and Gender Equity, 1F Dongwon Global Leadership Hall (Behind the Main Building)

* Please reserve for a visitation beforehand

* Hours : Monday ~ Friday 10:00~ 17:00


2. How does the counselling work?

1) Counselling

The victims of human rights violations are introduced to mean to resolve problems and procedures through counselling with the professional counsellors. However the counselling itself does not mean you have to file a formal complaint or report a case. It is up to the complainants to decide whether to resolve the issues solely through the counselling or to take the matter further.

The complainants can gain access to ways to get legal, psychological or medical supports through the center and also seek ways to resolve the issues with the people involved through mediation of the center. Also in the case for psychological counseling, the KU Center for Human Rights and Gender Equity would provide direct guidance to the professional institutions for such purposes.

※ Every Counselling is Anonymous
The KU Center for Human Rights and Gender Equity will do everything in its power to resolve the issues and will never expose any of the counselling contents.

2) Filing a Complaint

If the victim wants to resolve the issue through the official school protocol, inquiries can be made through the filing of a formal complaint. It can be done by filling out the complaint form and written statement form from the KU Center for Human Rights and Gender Equity homepage and hand it in to the Center. The submission of the documents can be made via e-mail or visitation.

3) Inverstigation

Once official complains is filed, the Center investigate the case based on the statements from the parties involved as well as related information. The Center may consult legal experts and other professional personnels outside the school. The complainants can request measures to protect their rights, and anyone must not be subjected to any kind of disadvantage for reporting, making statements or giving testimonies. The case would be closed if the parties involved reached a conciliation, otherwise the case will be forwarded to the Commission.

4) Procedures following the Inquiry and Rulings

Recommended Mediation: The president of the Center proposes possible options for the resolution of the issue and may recommend mediations (The recommended mediation may be offered to the cases during the inquiries).

Recommended Eradication: The president of the Center, once the rights violation has been proven, recommend appropriate eradication to the parties involved and to any related departments. For most of the rights violations cases, it is not only the faults of individuals but of the culture and/or customs themselves so recommendation for improvement may be issued. Also educational programs for recurrence prevention orders, social work orders, monetary compensation orders, restraining orders may be issued by the Center.

Request for Disciplinary Actions: The president of the Center may formally request disciplinary actions based on the seriousness of the case involving legal infringement as well as the violations of school protocols.